Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Confessions of an Animist Creationist

Creation of the World, Brueghel
Humans are not the only intelligent life form in existence. We are not alone in the universe. There are entities more powerful and intelligent than humans, many millions of them. And there is a glorious Creator who first imagined us and then created us, fashioning our bodies from the stuff of the earth and filling them with the holy spirit that animates all things. We were made—you were made—on purpose and for a purpose. 

In short, I am a Creationist.

The only other people I know who believe in the personhood of our Creator are evangelical Christians and Deloria-style animists. For a long time, I sought companionship in the evangelical church, but although my Christian friends shared many of my beliefs and values, animism is anathema to them and I never confessed to it. Slowly, I had to withdraw, both to maintain my integrity and because of disagreement with the politicized bible-idolatry that rules today’s evangelical community.

And so I am mostly alone in my thinking . . . but is there any shame in my beliefs? They may not be scientifically provable, but they make perfect sense. To think that this marvelous universe and all the wonders that it holds is an accident only makes a god of accident. To think that humans are the highest intelligence that exists is arrogant to the point of being comic.

Science may not be able to prove the existence of a Creator, but it sure as hell can’t disprove it. I have a right to my Creationism without being called a fool, the same way that others have a right to believe in the Big Bang, species evolution, or the existence of black holes and universe strings . . . none of which they can see. The evidence of science for its conclusions is no more compelling to me than the beauty, consciousness, creativity and complexity of the world that I can clearly see, and that gives evidence for the existence of a Creator.

Neither believers in a greater-than-human being nor believers in a secular, accidental universe can prove their point of view with scientific tools. No reproducible experimental results or mathematical formulas can disprove the existence of a Creator, and systematic observation, that darling of science since the 17th century, only serves to strengthen the Creationist side of the argument.

I’m not a fool. I’m not deluded. It’s not wishful thinking. It’s not biblical puppetry. 

I am a being who was first imagined, and then lovingly made by a Creator who knows me and loves me and has a plan for me. I am not alone.


Further Reading
Vine Deloria: Evolution, Creationism and other Modern Myths.
E.F. Schumacher: A Guide for the Perplexed.
Mary Midgley: Evolution as a Religion: Strange Hopes and Stranger Fears



1 comment:

Doug B said...

Can't tell you how much I loved this post! I was an animist as a child but didn't know that was what to call it. Yet back of it all I felt there was a creator. My spiritual views are not solid. I know I have a fondness for Plato, and I know that polytheism appeals to me. I have a concept of an imaginal realm where spirits give meaning to everything. At least I think that is how I think of it.