Saturday, November 17, 2012

Ain't gonna happen on my watch!


This cartoon expresses the heart of my work. I write and draw and work magic with this one goal in mind: to resist the apocalypse with everything I've got and make the world safe for our grandchildren.

I read an excellent book recently titled, The Last Myth: What the Rise of Apocalyptic Thinking Tells Us About America, by Mathew Gross and Mel Gilles. It discusses the myth of the apocalypse, both from a historical point of view and as it reflects America's 21st century culture. The authors write well and with humor to make their point: that we are worrying about wildly improbable apocalyptic scenarios such as the return of the angry god or a comet smashing into the earth, while we allow the human-supporting global environment to fall to bits around us. Their opening chapter about the ubiquitous nature of the myth was chilling. In the end, however, they renewed my hope that in the event of a collapse, humans will be able to pick up the pieces and start over again.

No comments: