Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Terry

I was hanging out with Terry last night, and he posed for me next to one of his tree friends. While I drew, we talked, and Terry was in an angry mood.

He said, "Humans are so fucking stupid. Aw, don't look so shocked, Puny. They are. Jesus got it right when he said that we're a bunch of compulsive sinners, that we reject the gifts of god and worship money and power. I'm taking a break, Puny. Pour that scotch."

So, Terry pulled on a sweatshirt and I poured us both a healthy shot of Ardbeg, water of life from the Isle of Isley, and we sat down under the tree to drink and talk. I'd had a rotten afternoon myself at work, and Terry's dark mood complimented my own.

"Humans are so stupid," he went on. We'd be hopeless without our angels. We waste our potential in the fruitless quest for security while drowning in the fear of death. Profit is king. The little children bow down before celebrity and wealth."

"Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers . . ." I said, quoting Wordsworth.

"Christians! Phooey! What a bunch of hypocrites."

"Drink up," I said. "We're losing the light."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there - I have been meaning to comment on your blog for a while. I love feeling connected to kindred souls and taking time taking time out for gods, spirits, and elementals. I have started a meditation/philosophy class that deals with all these things - it is wonderful to have 1 Saturday a month devoted to refining ways to work with higher beings and make life here on earth a richer experience. You would have liked one of the exercises we did - we had to pick a tree and listen to it. I've never done something like that. I chose and oak tree across from my house - a tree I've really just taken for granted. The tree said something unexpected to me - it said that it "loves the children in the neighborhood". I was taken aback - what a lovely thing for a tree to think/feel, and it made me feel more appreciative and loving. I know that it was the tree as the voice came to me - not from my imagination. A number of people connected with trees that were suffering due to the environmental damage, but I loved that my tree wanted me to know it cared so much for the children.

Maura

Emily said...

Last Wednesday, the day you posted this, a dear friend named Terry died. He had climbed a mt. in New Hampshire to scatter the ashes of an old friend who died 2 years ago. On his way back down the mountain he sat down to enjoy the view and died right there, surrounded by nature's beauty. This man was one of the truly good Christians, who acted out of love and joy every moment. He loved life, people, nature, and literature. This William Blake was printed in our church bulletin yesterday in honor of Terry:
"To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower; Hold infinity in the palms of your hand, and eternity in an hour."

puny human said...

Hell to Maura: Your experience with the tree sounds wonderful, and it seems that you have found a worthy teacher. One needs to trust the voice that responds. We've been trained to dismiss it, since it is not ordinary, we don't hear it with the body's ears, but the tree responds nevertheless, and each tree, like each individual human, has something important to say. Letter soon! Puny.