Thursday, May 7, 2009

make love with your god

The demands of the Dominator World weigh heavy on my spirit and suck up all my time. They keep me apart from my beloved Charlie. I miss him and pant after him as the deer pants after water, but I am chained to the machinery of Mammon. I am Mammon’s unwilling slave and I’m dying of thirst.

I long for Charlie. I lust for him. “Batter my, heart, three-personed God!” cries Dunne. “Amazing grace!” sings a rapturous John Newton. The coming together of the beloved god and the puny human is an ecstacy rivaled only by loving and shameless sex.

The Greek gods engaged in physical sex with humans, taking human form and conceiving sons and daughters. The Catholic mystics of the middle ages and the Pentacostals who raise their palms and open their spirits to the divine Love are two examples of the loving intercourse between the Jesus god and his human paramours that occurred hundreds of years apart. The psalms include dozens of love songs adoring the ancient mono-god and there is an entire book of the Bible describing in delightful detail the sexual intercourse between the beloved god and his loving human. The Song of Songs does not sound like a metaphor to me.

The mystic Sufi poet Rumi was the most articulate and shameless lover of his god I have ever come across. He wrote:

O incomparable Giver of life, cut reason loose at last!
Let it wander grey-eyed from vanity to vanity.
Shatter open my skull, pour in it the wine of madness!
Let me be mad, as You; mad with You, with us.
Beyond the sanity of fools is a burning desert
Where Your sun is whirling in every atom:
Beloved, drag me there, let me roast in Perfection!

As much as Rumi adored his Beloved, that is how much I love my god Charlie. I’m not saying that you have to know and hear the same god that I do, but cut me a little slack here to love my own god my own way. Charlie is important to me and spending time with him every week is as important to me as the Shabbos mono-god love fest is to Orthodox Jews. Just because you’ve never heard of my god before, just because he doesn’t have any temples or churches built for him, that doesn’t mean he doesn’t exist. He sure as hell does exist!

Charlie is not my higher self or my higher power. He is not a metaphor to explain the unknowable. He’s plenty knowable and he wants to be known. I think that’s one reason why he asks me to talk about him and draw pictures of him. He wants to be known. Charlie is kind and generous. He loves me dearly and he serves the Mother Earth, whose child I am. He serves the Green god and so do I. He worships the Creator and he works for Love. Hey, Charlie and I must have the same religion!

We also have an intimate relationship. He knows everything about me. He sees me naked, in pain and in ecstacy, and he is the true witness to my insignificant life. I love him so much.

Let us choose loving gods, and make glorious, passionate, fleshly love with them. Let the children of that union, our yet unborn, be filled with light and born into the earthly flesh for a million years to come.

Resist Apocalypse! Make love with the gods of Love!

8 comments:

EmilyJean said...

Who is Charlie? What does he look like? When did you meet him? I don't want to ask too many stupid questions, so please tell us his story so I don't have to ask! I'm imagining him as a forest gnome - I know I may be way off, but I'm very curious!

Sophia said...

Here is a bit of text from the Song of Songs. This is what Shabbat means to me. This part has been turned into a song called Dodi Li.

"My love is mine and I am his,
who browses in the lotus patch.

Who is this coming up out of the wilderness
perfumed with myrh and frankincense?

You have enlivened me, my sister-bride.

Awake, north wind,
yes, come, south wind!"

Here is a blog I found that someone might find interesting:

http://theolog.org/2008/06/solomons-wild-sexy-song.html

puny human said...

EmilyJean, Charlie is not a forest gnome. I'm sure you'll learn more about him if you keep reading here, but Charlie is not what my post was about. The questions I hoped you would ask yourself are, "Who is MY god? Whom do I follow and serve? Do I love my god with a mighty passion? And if not, why not?" Thinking about it won't help you understand it. Get out of your mind! Go crazy with love.
With affection,
Puny

EmilyJean said...

I don't think I have a personal god such as yours. I believe that God is the All-in-All, Alpha and Omega, the divine cosmos. . . and that God manifests in many ways through Creation so that we can know God better, although the entirety of God is too great to be known. And even though I believe that Jesus is probably the greatest of God's manifestations, I don't think of him as God, and I don't feel that I really know him as some Christians do. Never-the-less there are moments when I feel a connection with God in times of meditation, or being with loved ones, or being in Nature, or just Being. . . . But I don't think it's the kind of experience that you describe.

puny human said...

I am a polytheist. That means, I believe in many gods. I can imagine that there is a Great Mystery such as you describe, but the Mystery is way too big for us to know, so it becomes a kind of abstraction. When people insist on the One-Big-Guy-(capital G)God or nothing, then by definition they cannot know their "G"od.

Characteristically, Animists do not "believe in God" because they are not concerned with abstractions. Animists believe that all of Creation is imbued with intelligence and spirit. All the living beings, from blades of grass to beings greater than we are such as gods, guides, or "spirit people," are knowable, touchable, and physically real.

EmilyJean said...

Okay, I see. I also believe that every creation of God has a living spirit, and that God's creation includes angels, spirit guides, faeries, elves, and many other beings I don't know about. I'm just not sure what a small "g" god is. I'm reminded of the Greek and Roman gods who were all too human for me to think of as Divine in nature. Neither do I think of God as a "Big Guy in the Sky" - who is also way too small for me and might as well be a small "g" god, too. I would never say I believe in God or nothing - but more like "God and everything." I believe that God Is everything, and that all of the beings of Creation are linked by the Love Energy that holds the cosmos together. I want to clarify that I am not disagreeing with your beliefs. At this point, I still don't understand what you mean by gods, and I don't know who Charlie is. My connection with God is through the love of family and friends, Nature, inspirational literature, beautiful music - all of life's full moments. Maybe I'll meet my god someday, and then I'll know.

Heronmist said...

An inspiring post! Pity some of your other commentators don't seem to have any idea what you are talking about..

Sophia said...

I think each person's comments are very valuable! Our perceptions of anything are uniquely our own. It's interesting that one human will never be able to live in exactly the same world as another human. Yet still, even through my own lenses, I see a great variety and depth of opinions and philosophies. Not to say I can't "grock" or really GET what others are saying, I do; but surely even when I am most confident that I do, our versions of reality are still in a playful dialectic with each other.